Thursday, March 4, 2010

Weighing In

I would normally leave this up to my bitter rival as he is more in tune with the movie people, but in the interests of the academy, and this article, I have no choice. According to the daily fishwrap, there are many pressing measures on the table. What with the...I can't think more eloquently now...the idiots one...idiots too numerous to count(who throws ice at a cop)...or one of the most fucked up stories to come out of this fair city in a while.

Anyway, I agree with movie guy.

Though I did not see any of the other films, Not much makes me want to. Except for "A Serious Man" which will not win because it is a Cohen brother's movie.

So we are left with "The Hurt Locker." Despite the criticisms, I chose not to look for them because I am tired, and this is a good movie.

Yes...There are some really big artistic freedoms taken with it. As I stated the night I saw it. But it is not full of computer graphics, and is understandable by most people. These dudes hate what they are doing, but they do it anyway. Though "Generation Kill" is a much better depiction, it can't win this award.

The characters are real, the threat is real, and the reaction to that threat is well acted out and thoroughly believable. That reaction is what makes this movie badass. I can't imagine a bunch of "tree people" recreating this type of tension very well, and I can't imagine a movie with a shitload of gory violence drawing in viewers(ie everybody). This is why Hurt Locker is so good. Anyone from any walk of life can watch this movie and get it. It is very easy to identify with all of the characters, as everyone knows someone who has been through this type of situation.

There is no conclusion to this argument. Because the biggest grossing movie of all time will probably win. But that is because no one thinks of the marginally intelligent people anymore.

1 comment:

Chopper said...

You son of a b**ch. I was going to wait until after the ceremonies so I can't be proven wrong in my predictions. Plus there are 10 nominees in best picture. WTF? That's like in the NBA when over half the teams make the playoffs, no reason to pay attention until the second round (or at all).