Sunday, January 18, 2009

Puppy Dogs and Ice Cream

I can remain silent no longer. On a day when the Arizona Cardinals are going to the big dance, I am looking for some real news. According to the local daily, this is what I need to care about right now. I understand that this is an historic event. A black president is certainly a big deal. But, as usual, Muntaba hits the nail on the head. Even the pariah that is W did not spend this much money on an inauguration. My country is in an economic boondoggle and this is the solution? But I digress.

This one was the thing that caught my eye.

We have been absolutely swamped since the election with people desiring rejuvenation procedures for the upcoming inauguration

Wait one second as the needle scrapes along the record. You are trying to look good for an event that happens once every four years, and you are using body altering procedures to do so? For an event where no one will notice you? Out of hundreds of thousands of people.

"My motivation is to look the very best I can for such a historical event. I've flown in to D.C. from California for this," says Lynch, who will attend the swearing-in ceremony as well as a black-tie ball with her husband.Lynch says she stopped by Sundaram's office this weekend for cosmetic treatment, which included Botox and hyaluronic acid fillers.(emphasis mine)

What? Acid? In your skin? For a one day event? OK, so you are going to a ball with your $3000 dress and your $500 skin treatment. I get it, you are trying to tell all of us little people that we are not nearly as cool as you. Will the new Pres. even be there? Is he going to kiss your acid infused hand? And if he is, why not look your best right?

But I digress once again. I guess my beef with the whole deal is that we as a country are spending a shit-ton of money to help the failed institutions that made us rich. And there is this event that happens a lot. And the amount of money being spent on this one night party, despite all of the problems we have, is terrible. Not to mention the fact that there is constant coverage 2 days before the fact. I did not vote for either of the two people, but I voted so I feel like I have the right to bitch. Why not put all of this seemingly endless money into something that helps the situation we are in as a country? Or give it to me. I probably could think of a lot of things to spend it on that are better than a one day event that happens once every 4 years. Like a new TV, because mine is shitty.

I apologise for complaining. You can now return to your regularly scheduled hippie love fest.

3 comments:

Linkydinks said...

1. i think it was you who said "if it makes you happy, then it's ok".
2. people can't want to look good anymore? (not that botox looks good, but whatever)
3. if they gave you the money, shouldn't you spend it on something more important than a tv (or an acid peel). perhaps give it all to charity or something.
4. it is an historical event. we are celebrating mlk and then swearing in the first black president. be upset that "so you think you can dance" is on - not one of the most important events to happen to us in recent times. don't worry, i bet seinfeld will still be on somewhere.
5. i didn't click on the links so i don't know how much is being spent or who's spending it, so i got nothing on that one...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, reckless spending is good for ailing economy. If everyone started doing it, our problems would diminish.

You sure seem to know an awful lot about what the hippies have scheduled...

Chopper said...

I agree and disagree.
First, my dad took off today to watch coverage ALL DAY. Psychopath.

Our economy, meaning the citizens, are ailing for money in the ecomomy. The government gots plenty of money. I also think that what the country needs more than anything is something to believe in, something to get behind, something that they believe could save them. If they think Obama is that, more power to them. Realistically you will still have to get off your fat ass and get a job you useless hippie. But if all this pomp and circumstance involving him getting sworn in gets people to get up and do something to make a difference, then it was worth it. If people still sit around and expect taxes to be lowered, the job market to get better, and foreign affairs to clear up, they are in for a rude awakening come Janaury 21st.