Wednesday, October 10, 2007

So Let Me Understand This....

A bill is making its way through the state legislature that would require mental exams for all police officers according to the JS. I was always under the following impression, as I have had the honor and privilege of dealing with both.

For the most part, police officers are good people who want to protect the innocents of society. Unfortunately, there are those who get in that are assholes. Those that pull over black drivers in Brookfield, and beat the shit out of people when they are clearly in no need of the beating. There are also those who get through that are the "I am going to change the world types" that soon become jaded and bitter and jump at the chance to use their govt. issued firearms, thus becoming the first example.

Would it not be prudent of law enforcement depts. everywhere to give complete mental exams to both? Granted, you cant see the future and you cant see the bad eggs all of the time. I guess my question is: Why does it take the senseless murder of innocent teenagers to realize that there are some really bad people out there, who we as a state give weapons to? For fucks sake, the state employs enough shrinks to have these exams done already. Why now? Why when the situation comes to a head? I guess hindsight truly is 20/20.

DISCLAIMER: For the record, I am not against gun ownership. I do not like guns, but in the hands of a mentally competent individuals have the possibility of preventing violence before it escalates into people shooting up public places. Not to mention the fact that this guy was 20 and should not be allowed to enforce the law with public issued firearms.

5 comments:

Linkydinks said...

have a good birthday slick! and if you want to check out the gore on my dvr - let me know. truth be told though, you'd probably have a cat in your lap during it all... (and yes, some things are better left alone...) oh - and guns are dumb. that's my addition to the post.

edgrimly said...

My cat lives at my parents house. He is probably about 20 years old by now. And I may take you up on that.

Chopper said...

Wait, beating the shit out of people is a bad thing?? I don't see how that makes a bad cop. How dare that guy try to crash an off-duty cops party. Remember when that guy crashed your party 2 years ago and you had him tarded and feathered?

edgrimly said...

He was also banging my wife god rest her soul

Linkydinks said...

you should definitely take me up on it. and you should know you have been cursed up and down at work. i think i saw a little edgrimly voodoo doll...