Thursday, February 18, 2010

Question

So I had to run some errands tonight.(ps this post will contain no links) At one point, I am behind a car with so much exhaust that it made it difficult to see. So much in fact that the smoke lasted for 3 blocks.

He had some sort of "stop global warming" sticker on his bumper.

What?

Yes that's correct.

So here is what I'm seeing...

You are all about making the earth greener and eliminating our dependence on fossil fuels. Yet your car emits some sort of crud that pretty much is the equivalent of an environmental death machine. Cool dude.

No...This car was not an electric model. It was an old Honda or Mazda.

It is really cool that people are driving cars that last a really long time, like this guy, because it was old. Talking like '85 Intreped. It saves money, and prevents you from spending more. But the fact that you want people to recycle and shit. And the fact that your sticker says that you do make you an asshole.

Here's why...

Everybody is a hypocrite. I am. You are. And all of your friends have double standards. For example...You dig the death penalty but you will not abide by abortion. Or the reverse...You think that abortion is OK but the death penalty is not cool.

What is the difference?

(Digression) I recycle more every day than most people will in their entire life.


Why would you have a bumper sticker promoting an environmental lifestyle on a car like that? You probably think that because you take all of your Pabst cans and put them in the single recycle bin, you are doing a good thing. Or maybe you take all of your newspaper and shred them and put them in your compost pile. How about making sure your milk cartons don't end up in a landfill?

Now I am not saying I am better than you, mister "I drive a shitty car". Everybody has to go places. In fact, I don't bother to recycle anything in my own house. Nor do I drive an environmentally conscious car, although I get 35 mpg.

I am just saying that maybe you should think about what you are presenting yourself as. Think about why you have that bumper sticker and then about what you are actually doing, or your car is doing. Are you really true to what you are thinking day to day?

Talk to me when you need a tank of gas. Just don't try to tell me that you need it to get home.

4 comments:

Chopper said...

Perfect. Everyone is a hypocrite. Beautiful. I have coworkers who are always late to meetings but then b**tch and complain about students being late to class, they always say "it's different."

You could have a Thursday blog theme of ways people are hypocrites.

Just because you drink your own urine, doesn't mean you recycle more than most people.

I saw a guy with a bumper sticker that said "Are you 18 yet?" Beautiful. The guy was in his 30s.

Muntaba Lambego said...

Chopper, are you that guy in his 30's with the bumper sticker?

Anonymous said...

I think 35 mpg is environmentally conscious, by today's weakass standards. And you recycle. Tree-hugger.

Linkydinks said...

I'm going to buy you this shirt, hippie.
http://www.zazzle.com/may_the_forest_be_with_you_tshirt-235470095686389123

(and welcome back)