Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Painful

Watching Manny Parra pitch is like rubbing one out with a cheese grater. Slightly amusing, but mostly pretty agonizing. After striking out the side in the first, I said to myself that he looked as good as he had all season. I should have knocked on wood. With that patented deer-in-the-headlights look on his face, he gave up 2, 3, and 5 runs in consecutive innings. Wow. I dont think Soupcan has done that yet this year, and going into the season, everyone thought he would have been the one to do it.

The problem seems to be that as soon as a runner gets on against him, he loses it. Flat out gone. He apparently has the "stuff" to be a great pitcher, but the whole million dollar arm 10 cent head thing is happening. I can begin to think of a way to get him back on track, because runners are going to get on against him wether or not he gets sent to the bullpen or even to AAA. Im not saying I am giving up on him, because he is pretty young and like I said, he has the "stuff." If by stuff you mean a giant bag of suck in his back pocket.

And even if he was demoted or
sent down, who replaces him? McClung? With the bullpen as overtasked as it is with Suppan, Looper, and Bush already, you probably dont want to have one of your middle releivers pitching 5 innings and turning the game over. It would be even harder to keep those arms fresh and ready if that happend. There isnt much in AAA either. Sure, some of the numbers are decent but remember that it is mostly against players not good enough for the bigs but good enough to have a job. Trade? I doubt that Mustache is willing to give up either more money or more prospects for a frontline type of starter. I really dont want to hear more of that Peavy crap, though it would be nice. Maybe there needs to be more fighting in the dugout.

The truth is, you cant give up on the arm he has, but it is getting really hard sticking with it after the gem of a
season he has put together so far. Now back to my cheese grater.

caption at a local blogsite: "does something stink in here?"

1 comment:

Chopper said...

I think the problem is that these other pitchers have been hanging out and listening to Suppan. Only Gallardo hasn't been because he just ignores Suppan and pretends he doesn't speak English.

Sidenote: I have never seen that when Macha came out to talk to Parra and waved everyone else off. I liked it. I thought he was taking out Parra, but then he was just talking "father to son." Too bad he didn't take him out, he gave up another 6 runs after that.